Sunday, September 19, 2010

Meet Author of Shadow Dancer: Courtney Rene


1. What or who inspired you to start writing?

I was a reader as a child. I devoured books, any book I could get my hands on, I would read. The librarian and employees knew me by my first name I was there so often. Writing just seemed to be the next step. There was no zing moment for me. I just naturally drifted into it.

2. How did you come up with your idea for Shadow Dancer?

I have always been painfully shy. There have been times in life that I wished I could just fade back into the shadows and be invisible to those around me. Plus, I think all of us wish sometimes that there were something different, exciting, and special about us. That we really are a lost princess or hero from some far away land that is just waiting for us to return to it. So I put the two together and came up with Shadow Dancer.

3. What expertise did you bring to your writing?

Imagination. That’s it.

4. What would you want your readers to know about you that might not be in your bio?

I have grammar issues. Grammar is not my friend. Writing a story is easy and fun for me, but the edit is a nightmare. I can write a story or article rather quickly, but the edit? Yeesh, it takes me twice as long.



5. As far as your writing goes, what are your future plans?

I already have two more books running around and forming in my head for the Shadow Dancer series. I also have a shape-shifter/werewolf story that I am finishing up now. After that, I don’t know. I have ideas but nothing firm at this point.

6. If you could be one of the characters from this book, who would it be and
why?
I would be Tara. She is just a happy teenager. Her life is laid out before her and it is a good easy life. Some would say why not the main character? Sunny’s life is full of twists and turns and sadness and anger. I have enough of that in real life. I say if I could pick my life, I would go with the happier, simpler one.

7. Can you give us a sneak peek into this book?

8. Do you belong to a critique group? If so how does this help or hinder your writing?

I do not belong to a critique group. I have thought about joining one a time or two, but I don’t think I have the time to devote that I should. I do have one or two people that I use now and then that will read and give me their thoughts and opinions of the story and such, which is invaluable. For Shadow Dancer I actually asked several teens to give it a read to see what they thought of it.

9. When did you first decide to submit your work? Please tell us what or who
encouraged you to take this big step?

I didn’t set out to publish Shadow Dancer when I began it. The story came to me so very quickly and was such an easy write, maybe I just didn’t have time to think about it. After it was finished I realized that it was a good interesting story and maybe others would enjoy it. My daughter read it and said I needed to get it published, so I did. I figured the worst anyone could tell me was, no. Why not give it a go.

10. What is the best and worst advice you ever received? (regarding writing or publishing)

The best advice I have been given was to not get lost in the technical side of writing. Write the story, then go back and worry about the grammar, the spelling, the format. The story is what people want to see, and if you write a good enough story, your readers won’t even notice the rest. They shouldn’t notice the work that went into it.

I can’t think of any bad advice I have been given. Maybe I just learned from any mistake or missteps I took and moved on.


11. Do you outline your books or just start writing?

I am not an outline person. I have tried to use them a time or two, but in the end they tend to squelch all my creativity. I like to just sit down and see where an idea takes me. Where will my characters want to go next is just as exciting to me as I hope it is to my readers. Besides if I sit down and take the time to outline, I already know what happens and how the story will end and don’t need to write it anymore.

12. How do you maintain your creativity? –

Sometimes I maintain my creativity by sheer determination. It’s hard to be creative all the time, as life gets in the way. If I am struggling I will plug into my ipod and hope that music will help inspire me. I have also gone for walks in my woods to help clear out some of the unnecessary clutter that is holding me down.

13. Anything else you might want to add?

1 comment:

  1. Great interview! Your book sounds really interesting and one I'll be sure to buy and read. It sounds like something a teenager would really enjoy as well. I don't think I've ever known anyone in this life that didn't wish they were someone else, living in a different time or place at some point in their lives. I cant imagine anyone who wouldn't relate to Shadow Dancer.

    ReplyDelete