Monday, June 27, 2016

The Noel Man is a concisely-written "western" story that leaves readers pleased. The Noel Man by Henry P. Gravelle



Title: The Noel Man
         Doc Jacobi Western Book Three
ISBN: 978-1-62420-172-1
Author: Henry P. Gravelle

Genre: Western
Excerpt Heat Level: 1
Book Heat Level: 1


REVIEW:

The Noel Man is a concisely-written "western" story that leaves readers pleased. More like L'Amour than Zane Grey or Max Brand, author Henry P. Gravelle has created a fascinating hero in the resourceful and fearless character of Dr. Jacobi-- a man who can repair bullet wounds and extract infected molars. The former Civil War surgeon is a world-class problem solver. Several Code of the West issues (including horse thievery, respect for women, and relationships with Native Americans) are successfully articulated in The Noel Man. I am anxious to read the other two books in this series.
Jeffrey Ross
Gilbert, Arizona

TAGLINE

Doc Jacobi and Bell search the Noel Mountains for a mountain man who stole Stark and added him to his herd of wild ponies to trade to the Indians.

BLURB

Doc Jacobi and Bell search the Noel Mountains for a mountain man who stole Stark and added him to his herd of wild ponies to trade to the Indians.

EXCERPT

The mountains west of Baron township, and right in front of me, touched the sky with a white capped ruggedness stretching along the western horizon as far as the eye could see. A few peaks disappeared within gray clouds promising rain and blocking any likeliness of sunshine.
Bell and I had been traveling most of the day when we finally neared the tree line midway up a go-on-forever slope. Bell stopped, snorted, and tossed her head at the rocky heights beyond the tree canopy; her imaginary thought came to my mind.
Don't think I can still climb them.
I patted her neck; her ears perked when I spoke.
"I wouldn't worry, girl. I reckon the herds aren't up on the big rock. They need grazing space and ain't gonna find it up near the snow."
Bell proceeded without a prod from me. She took an easy gait toward the forest covering the base of the Noel Mountains; her head lower than usual and I knew why. Maybe if I gave it some thought from the beginning, the ending to our journey might figure out.

There were no sense in singing or whistling or even conversing with Bell, she was not in a frame of mind right now. So I proceeded to piece together events of the last few days beginning with Bell's colt of two years named Stark, the reason for our adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment